Thursday, December 14, 2017

Figure Storage Solution-Literature Mailing boxes

Recently I have had many inquires on the boxes I currently use to store my miniature collections.  As a result I decided to document it in one location so I can more easily share what I use.
Bolt Action Army in 2" box
Like many of you I have acquired a wonderful collection of "Toy Soldiers".  Once I started completing my armies in miniature I also faced the question of how will I store and transport them?
My Storage Closet-Left Side


My Storage Closet -Right Side
I went through a few phases with my various collections to include Plano style plastic boxes, various types of foam trays as well as storage cases designed specifically for miniature war gamers.   As my collection grew, I came to realize that these solutions were becoming unwieldy and in the case of foam and storage cases vary cost prohibitive.  When the cost of the foam could fund additional armies I decided to make a change.
A portion of Mark's Collection
I looked to my long time friend and gaming mentor Mark who has been in the hobby for decades.  I am not sure if Mark knows how many "Toy Soldiers" he owns or just does not want to admit it, but his sizable collection is in the tens of thousands ranging different scales and periods from Ancients through WWII.
Standard 3" box with magnetic sheet
Mark has been using a unique and very affordable method of figure storage for years.  He custom builds storage boxes in varying sizes using sturdy flat shipping boxes (Usually used for Literature) lined with magnetic sheet (similar to what is used for making magnetic signs).  Mark and the gaming crew order materials in bulk to have on hand and keep the cost even lower.   He then assembles as needed for himself and other members of the group when requested.  Actual cost per box is probably around $5 in materials, plus his labor for which I gladly pay him.
Bulk Magnetic sheet roll (Adhesive back)
The boxes can be purchased in a number of sizes depending on your collection.  I prefer to use all the same with are approx. 16" x 12" and then either 2 or 3"tall.  The boxes are all lined with a magnetic sheet (adhesive backed works best) which is ideal as all my figures are already on metal bases/washers.  Mark then goes the extra step by inserting a piece of wood in the front of the box which the box flap slides in between when closed.  This prevents the box flap from ever contacting and wearing on the figures that are safely stored inside.
Box Bottom templates used for cutting magnet sheet easily
To go a step further we have designed nice labels which make it very easy to identify the contents and look great.
Front edge of box with wood insert for box flap
As Mark's collection is very large he has even custom built shelving to the dimensions of the boxes. This way only so many boxes are stacked together.   The metal figures based on washers and metal bases can get quite heavy.  The boxes are very crush resistant, but I would not recommend stacking more than four high depending on weigh of each box to avoid any damage to the boxes on the bottom.
Assorted boxes ready for use
At this point the majority of my miniature collections are now stored this way, with the exception of those that are not based like planes and such.  I am even in the process of building boxes for my naval fleets.
Bottom of Team Yankee 6mm Box (Note inserts for shelf)
Top of Team Yankee 6mm box with shelf in place
The boxes are excellent for home storage and work very well for transporting figures although I would not suggest dropping them or turning them upside down (not that I have had experience).
28mm Vehicles and troops in 2" box
In addition to what Mark created I have come up with one additional inspiration.  Mark uses smaller size boxes for his 15mm collections.  I also have 6mm (Modern) and 10mm (ACW) forces.  Since I want to keep my boxes all the same size it seemed like a waste of space with the really small scale figures even in the 2" tall boxes.  My solution was to use a 3" box and insert a 2nd layer/tray so I can essentially store twice as many figures in one box.
ACW 10mm Bottom

ACW 10mm Top (drawer knob for easy lift out)
I did this by simply inserting 1.5" wide strips along the lower inside of the box and down the middle to support a shelf.  I used tag/matting board to cut the shelf to size and then simply attached a drawer knob to the center so I can easily lift off the top layer which snugly fits in.  All my 10mm and 6mm figs are under 1" tall, so the 1.5" height works great.  I am also in the process of doing this with my 1/2400 naval fleets as the mast are not that tall.


28mm F&IW figs in 3" box to accommodate flags
The boxes can be obtained from a number of vendors along with the bulk magnetic sheet.  I have also purchased the magnetic sheet from a local sign shop, but it was much more expensive going that route.
28mm Soviet vehicles and Cavalry in 3" box
A simple google search may be able to help you find a local retailer or online vendor.  Mark was not sure which company he ordered form last as he has ordered in bulk and they last awhile.


Here are a few links if you do decided to order in bulk to get you started (encourage you to shop around):
Boxes:
http://www.globalindustrial.com/g/packaging/boxes-cartons/CorrugatedLiterature-Bookfol/literature-mailers


Adhesive Magnetic rolls:
http://www.discountmagnet.com/categories/adhesive-magnetic-sheets/adhesive-magnet-rolls


In my opinion when compared to the cost of other solutions the cardboard boxes cannot be beat, especially if you have a sizeable collection.


Have Fun organizing your forces.



7 comments:

  1. Yes, it is certainly nothing new...just some are not aware. Amazing what some on custom foam storage that otherwise could fund more troops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found it useful and informative. I have all my armies in plastic storage containers also lined with magnetic sheets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome article thanks for the infomation! Is there anything on the bases besides being metal to help them stick? My 15mm Nappy Brits are on wooden movement trays and I’m looking for a way to story them with the tray. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steel metal bases or washers are all that is required. For my Bolt Action Armies I simply use washers as the base.

      Just started Star Wars Legion. Because the plastic base is unique and critical to game play I found that 2 7/8 x5/32 washers glued inside the base work well and give the diga some heft.

      Delete
  4. Do you have label template you use?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice post. Well what can I say is that these is an interesting and very informative topic on literature mailer boxes

    ReplyDelete